Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Over the past few weeks the interns have enthusiastically completed clinics in screen printing, paper making, book binding, and yesterday, letterpress. The tutorials have been fun and informative and we can't wait to explore these mediums further throughout the summer. Additionally, the first of four exhibitions is now up in the bathroom, and we welcome everyone to have a look.

As we begin work on our personal portfolios, we would each like to offer a brief bio along with a selected image...

My name is Catherine Cole and I am a rising senior majoring in Studio Art and minoring in Marketing at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia.

My artistic experience is mostly in drawing and printmaking, with a more recent progression into painting. I love the look of ink, be it in broad smooth areas or delicate lines, and that’s one of the reasons I am drawn to printmaking as a medium. My favorite method of printmaking so far is woodcut due to the physical nature of carving the blocks and the infinite range of mark making, textures, and surfaces that can be achieved. I find that these qualities offer much for me to experiment with and explore.

I also have a love for type which has been separate from my art thus far, so after learning how to use the letterpress and learning other media such as paper making and bookbinding, I look forward to learning how to use these in combination with my printmaking.

Other goals for this summer include using the printing presses as often as I can, pushing the extremes of my work, building my portfolio, meeting and getting to know other artists, networking, understanding the structure and functions of a non-profit art organization, all while absorbing as much additional information as I can about print and paper media, the DC art scene, the art world in general, and possible careers for artists.

My image is a reductive woodcut self portrait of me using an eyelash-curler titled Morning Routine.

Sarah Eargle earned a B.A. in Art and Art History from St. Mary's College of Maryland in 2010. Her recent work explores how we experience the body through color, texture, and line. Using found objects, she creates biomorphic shapes, which are then printed to paper, resulting in rich and complex surfaces. Her prints often serve as studies for paintings, which explore similar themes.

This summer, Sarah hopes to continue investigating the body through new mediums, both singularly and in combination.


A complete gallery of images can be viewed at: http://students.smcm.edu/seargle



Maxine Worthy first began to create art in Fayetteville, AR where she was born and raised. She currently attends St. John's College in Santa Fe, NM with hopes that its Great Books Program will help inform and deepen her artistic work. The relationship between stories and images has always been a part of her art, she has a made and published several comics and is interested in illustration. She was initially attracted to printmaking was because the flatness of the color, which reminded her of children's books. She hopes to continue creating her own comics and to develop her printmaking skills during her internship at Pyramid Atlantic.

Hey, my name is Ethan Sherman. I just finished my sophomore year at Rutgers, New Brunswick, where I study printmaking and sculpture. This summer seems like it is going to be a great time and I intend on spending as much of it as possible in the studio working on new projects. Some of my interests outside of printmaking include playing music, cooking, rock climbing, skateboarding, and outdoor activities in general. The next thing I have coming up in an installation in the Pyramid Atlantic first floor bathroom, running the week of June 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment