Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Week 7: The Lightness of Being

69 art classes and workshops, 50 internships, studios for 419 artists and events for 7,539 people of all ages at Pyramid were supported by my email campaign last year. This year, I am going to raise 1,000,000 pennies (or $10,000) to help make even more possible. Join me.

Week 6 is in the books and I am at 250,230 pennies or ($2,523).
This is so awesome! Keep those pennies coming in!

Here is your Week 7 Inspiration:

"Last week, I had one of the best experiences ever. On Friday night a teenager and his band performed for the first time ever as a band and it was at Pyramid. At one point, this kid was playing Sunshine of Your Love by Cream and he was really into it, banging away, slowly standing up on his chair and playing a drum solo. I witnessed him experience an incredible lightness of being. I witnessed him become this supernova of joy. It was inspiring.

It made me think back to the first time I connected to that lightness. I was in the 9th grade and I was performing a monologue for the first time in the High School Drama Competition at at the Dade County Youth Fair. I was performing a monologue from the play Winterset and I was playing the character of Mio. I nailed it. I mean I remember at one point, just feeling so alive on that little stage. The words were just pouring out of me and I was on fire. I was a 12 year old kid whose purpose in life that day was to connect my audience to the story of this guy who faced adversity of all kinds and overcame. I wanted them all to believe it was possible. I remember my mother and brother were in the audience and I was feeling so proud.

Well, when the monologue was over everybody clapped and I was sure I got that first place ribbon. It turns out my monologue was about 3 minutes longer than was allowed and I was disqualified. The judges still have me an honorable mention ribbon because they thought I had done a great job. I remember leaving with my mom and brother and heading back home and feeling a lightness. I felt like I was walking on air I felt so light.

I thought about this kid and his band at Pyramid and how powerful and confident he looked. I thought about all of the people who I have seen at Pyramid experience the lightness. I have seen a woman in a letterpress class light up discovering the magic of bringing her design to life on the press. I have seen a parent fill with joy seeing the wonder in her daughter's eyes as she delights in the magic of papermaking. I have seen a man who finally, after all of these years, is now able to take that printmaking class with the kids away in college and finds that its the perfect vehicle for her thoughts and desires. I have seen that kid, who is getting average grades in school and not really interested in finishing school, all of a sudden discover screenprinting in our summer program and become the one who helps others in the class. I have seen the artist, desparately needing a space from which to jump out into the unknown and create that piece of art she has been dreaming about alone, jump out into it because of the support of the Pyramid Atlantic community.

I think about Pyramid alot and wonder why we have been around for so long. I believe it is because we are a place where anyone, regardless of age or ability, can experience the incredible lightness of being that comes with making art. We are here, 31 years this April, because of the lightness. We all know that their is a deeper truth to us all, that has nothing to do with where we work, how much money we make or our responsibilities. We all hunger to connect to the lightness and feel fulfilled.

It is because of this hunger that Pyramid Atlantic is here and will always be here. We know that it is everyone's inheritance and exist so people of all ages and abilities can come in to Pyramid to claim it and experience the incredible lightness of being."

I hope I inspired you to join me. Its easy:
If all this penny stuff is too complicated and you just want to make a contribution, you can donate in any form of currency to Pyramid Atlantic by clicking here. I will add up your donation in pennies and include it in my campaign.

Join me tomorrow night, Thursday, March 15 from 5 - 9 pm at Madam's Organ, 2461 18th Street NW. We are the featured nonprofit tomorrow night and we receive $1 from every drink sold and 20 percent of the food sales between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. Listen to the jazz tones of Dan Griffin and his band and don't miss our good friends from Zipcar, who will have a pick up truck out front and invite you to come by and "pitch your pennies" into the truck for Pyramid!

Bring your pennies and I will take them to my friends at Eagle Bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment