Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Week 18 - What It Means To Me

We are at 670,000 pennies today (or $6,700.).  We have 3 weeks to go and 330,000 pennies to raise.  That's a good goal to have 3 weeks out.


Thanks for all your support.  Every time I see someone out on the street, they ask me how its going and encourage me to keep writing.  Thank you, thank you.  Here is your inspiration:
 
"What is Pyramid Atlantic? You know, when I got this job 4 and 1/2 years ago, one of the things  I wanted was for Pyramid to be a place that my dad or mom or brother could come to and feel uncomfortable. I did not want them to have that "is it alright if I'm here" feeling because they weren't artists.  My dad was a salesman and my mom worked as a receptionist at a Doctor's office. So, if they were to come in tomorrow, I would want them to come in and feel comfortable. One of the reasons I write these weekly inspirational emails, other than to raise money for Pyramid Atlantic Art Center, the 501c3 of which I am the Executive Director, is to help others feel comfortable. 

I think from these emails you might have an idea of the kind of place Pyramid Atlantic is  Well, I want share with you what Pyramid is to me.  I want to start with our mission statement, because we worked on it for about 2 years, so I need to use it.  At Pyramid Atlantic our mission to build communities that give life to papermaking, printmaking and artist books.  Nice mission statement, but you still might be saying "huh"?.  Let's start at the top, our mission is to build communities.  Not community, but communities.  That's important, because there is not one be all, end all community.  There are communities and one person may be a member of many different communities.  So we say communities because we want to build communities of artists who value this work and also young people, seniors, business people, etc.  I think you get the idea. Now why is building communities important, couldn't we just make art and call it a day.  Well, every human being, regardless of age, gender, socio economic status or profession wants to belong to something or someone.  Right after food, shelter and safety is belonging.  We all hunger for it and we look for it our whole lives until we find it, it is a key to being happy.  It's not just something that is necessary for artistic development, it is essential for human development. The next part is "that give life."  Why is that important?  Its important because life is about never ending possibility. Being alive gives you the opportunity to make decisions, change your mind, try something new, apologize, fail and try again.  Life = possibility and Pyramid Atlantic is a place that is full of possibilities.  Papermaking, printmaking and artist books.  Why these mediums?  Why not sculpture or painting or dance or music? In my opinion, these art froms are the most accessible.  If you walked in to Pyramid tomorrow and had never made a sheet of paper before, you could walk into the papermaking studio and make one 5 minutes later.  There is power in that accessibility.  These art forms are also the most democratic.  Most of the time when you make prints, you make multiples or editions.  Rather than having the art work be exclusive, (there is only one of these in the world) its inclusive and affordable.  Its about putting art into the hands of people and building love and appreciation.  Artist Books are magical.  The endless folds and hidden pockets.  The assembling by hand.  One minute, its just sheets of paper, book board, a needle and thread and the next minute you have a book in your hands.  A book you can take anywhere, share with anyone and fill with your hearts desire.  Who doesn't love magic.  It's powerful stuff. So that's Pyramid to me and that's why I'm here."

I hope I inspired you to join my ever growing community of penny philanthropists who help support art classes and workshops, internships, studios for artists and events for people of all ages at Pyramid. It is an amazing group of individuals.  It's fun and easy:


If all this penny stuff is too complicated and you just want to make a contribution, you can donate in any form of currency to Pyramid Atlantic by clicking here. I will add up your donation in pennies and include it in my campaign.

Join me on Friday, June 8 at Noon for lunch at Pyramid.  I am grilling burgers, veggie burgers and hotdogs.  Its a great way to end the work week. Bring a side dish and your pennies and I will take them to my friends at Eagle Bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment