Friday, January 17, 2014

Ice Breaker


Winter is here. The flowers are sleeping, and the storm clouds pour out snow. Temperatures below forty degrees have settled in to calm our New Year's cheer; and, the indoors are the places we escape to for our great adventures. This season of ice and freezing rain has compelled artists, at Pyramid Atlantic Art Center, to come from out of their introversion, to bring the heat of themselves together, and share tidings of comfort and joy with one another. New to the space are studio interns, Janet Ibrahim and Lew Is Ckool. To break the ice, they thought to make a game of introducing themselves.


(The following is a true transcription of events.)

Lew Is Ckool: Hey Janet! There is a game that I like to play to get to know my students better. It’s called Would You Rather. Have you heard of it?

Janet Ibrahim:  Yeah. I’ve heard of it.

Lew: Would you like to play? 

Janet: Sure. Sounds like fun. Share with me the rules and we can play a few rounds.

L: I’ll present you with two options in the form of the question “would you rather...” You’re allowed to choice one, and only one. It would nice if you could explain why…it’ll make for interesting conversation. I’ll answer the questions you present to me, and in turn you can answer the question I present to you.

J: I got it.

L: Ok. Would you rather have no hair or no teeth?

J: Lol… I would rather have no hair. My teeth are dear to me. I can easily wear a wig to cover my head.

L: The same is true for me. I think eating would be difficult with no teeth. And I might look as nice as Mike (Jordan) if my head were bald :)

J:Would you rather be stuck as an old person or an infant?

L: I would rather be stuck as old person. I’d rather a life full of memories than a life with none at all.

J: I think I’d prefer the experience of an infant. That way everything is new and wondrous.

L: Would you rather have a lot of money and no friends, or friends and no money?

J: I’d rather have friends and no money. We need each other, and if my friends are truly friend they’ll help me out in my time of need.

L: I like that. I agree.

L: It’s nice to meet you Janet Ibrahim :)

J: it’s nice to meet you too Lew Is Ckool.



* Janet Ibrahim
Janet is from Fredrick, MD and she really likes trying new things and exploring the arts. Janet is a senior at the University of Maryland, College Park, where she studies Art and Education. Her hobbies (and interests) included crochet, knit theory, and listening to Beyonce.

#Lew Is Ckool.
It’s true. He is a poem…a myth…a constellation of ideas made to pull together the dual/complimentary aspects of the cosmos. He is a philosophical system.

No comments:

Post a Comment