Monday, February 11, 2013

Artist in Residence: Michelle Dickson


Michelle is currently one of our resident artists at Pyramid Atlantic. She received a BFA from the University of Florida and an MFA from the University of Massachusetts. She currently lives and works in Baltimore, Maryland. 

"I like to think of my work as an extended contemplation on the passing of time and all that entails. Memory plays a large role in my work. I'm interested in the interconnectivity of everything around us - how the structure of rivers are like highways are like veins and tree roots. How deteriorating walls become a portrait of time and a record of human touch, and how the fragility of the body can be experienced in the crumbling of buildings I see when I walk downtown. 

My process is rooted in exploration. I am a mixed media artist and I'm constantly looking for new ways to express my ideas. I don't do a lot of planning before beginning a body of work. My process is very intuitive. I start with an idea or a feeling and what follows is a series of responses. 

Currently I'm working on a body of two-dimensional work at Pyramid Atlantic titled "palimpsestic tendencies". Each piece begins with a digital print of a photograph taken from a previous sculpture project. I have been doing silkscreening, collograph printing, and drawing, on top of these prints. This body of work will be shown at Jordan Faye Contemporary at 823 Park Ave in Baltimore on March 1st. 

I am inspired the most by nature and my surroundings- especially by abstractions and patterns. A few artists that I admire are Kiki Smith, Doris Salcedo, Ann Hamilton, and Eva Hesse."





Visit Michelle Dickson's Website at http://michelledickson.com/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment